Professional Family Photography Checklist – The Woodlands, Texas
The process of taking family photos is a special occasion, and every family photographer wants everything to run smoothly. The following checklist will walk you through every step of the portrait process to ensure you feel confident and prepared.
Before your family photo session:
- Before your photoshoot, schedule hair, nail, and makeup appointments. Your roots should be touched up and your nails should not be chipped.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to plan your outfits! Plan these details ahead of time to feel relaxed and prepared.
- Let your kids know what’s going on with laid-back, low-key references. Keep it casual and say, “We’re hanging out with some friends!” or “We’re going to the park!” Be fun, lighthearted, and casual. This tip is especially helpful if your child is particularly shy.
- Think about props, mementos, or special types of images you want captured. Families bring heirloom quilts, stuffed animals, embroidered keepsakes, etc. Some families know what type of photograph they want. Be sure to brainstorm these preferences in advance.
- Take a look at everything your family photographers emailed you: blog posts, session guides, or wardrobe vision boards. These are all very important because they contain helpful tips and information!
- Make sure everyone gets a good night’s sleep and eats well.
Dressing for Family Photography:
- Dress for the weather! Everyone should be comfortable!
- Don’t wear matching clothes – no jeans and matching shirts anymore! Wear colors that complement each other, such as earth tones and neutrals.
- No tennis shoes, T-shirts, or shirts with writing!
- Although your family photographer is familiar with Photoshop, removing bra straps and panty lines is time-consuming. You should wear clothes that cover your undergarments in all situations.
- Medium or long dresses capture movement and photograph better than pants. If you’re wearing short dresses, seated photos might be challenging.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Avoid clothes that are too tight to sit down in, or that suddenly become too short as soon as you bend over. Prepare to move!
- Add accessories! You can create visual interest and movement in your photos with bowties, suspenders, hats, flower headbands, chunky scarves, flowing dresses, and skirts.
- Before we start taking photos, remind gentlemen to remove bulky items from their pockets.
Bring these to your family photo session:
- Makeup touchup items like lipstick or a hairbrush.
- Snacks, snacks, snacks, and if necessary, treats to bribe kids! Snacks/treats shouldn’t stain lips or fingers!
- Walking shoes. Walking short/moderate distances on unpaved trails with hills is likely. Wear walkable shoes! If you love your wedges, be sure to bring them to the shoot.
I hope you find this checklist helpful!